Buy Fresh Buy Local Assistant
Geographic Focus: PEC Region
Office Location: Hybrid Remote / Warrenton Office or Charlottesville Office
Supervisor: Director of Outreach and Communications
Job Classification: Part Time / Temporary
The Piedmont Environmental Council (PEC) is a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization that has proudly promoted and protected the natural resources, rural economy, history and beauty of the Virginia Piedmont since 1972. PEC empowers residents to protect what makes the Piedmont a wonderful place, and works with citizens to conserve land, protect air and water quality, celebrate historic resources, build smart transportation networks, promote sustainable energy choices, restore wildlife habitat and improve people’s access to nature.
DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
The Buy Fresh Buy Local Assistant works to support local farms and a strong rural economy in the Virginia Piedmont. This position is part time and temporary, tasked with successfully updating The Piedmont Environmental Council’s three Buy Fresh Buy Local publications, which help residents find local food throughout our region.. This role includes project management, sponsor outreach, and marketing and communications. It is estimated the Assistant will work 20-25 hours per week over the course of a 6-8 month period.
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Buy Fresh Buy Local Assistant’s specific responsibilities are outlined below:
- Coordinate and manage production of the 2023/2024 Buy Fresh Buy Local
- Assist area producers with the Buy Fresh Buy Local online sign-up process through Virginia MarketMaker. Review business profiles for accuracy and completion.
- Secure funding support for each guide. Update PEC’s existing sponsor packet, reach out to past sponsors and work with PEC’s advancement team to identify new sponsors.
- Create marketing copy, including farm profiles, for inclusion in each guide.
- Supervise volunteers and/or interns as needed.
- Work with PEC’s communications team on external communications and website updates for org.
- Experience with marketing, communications and fundraising preferred;
- The ability to work independently;
- Strong initiative and customer service orientation;
- Working knowledge of Google Suite, Microsoft Office software products;
- Knowledge and experience in database programs is preferred.
- Project management, organizational and prioritizing skills; problem-solving and organizational skills: attention to detail is imperative.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- $25 per hour.
As a temporary position, there is no eligibility for fringe benefits.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The initial deadline for receipt of applications is November 17, 2022. However, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The Piedmont Environmental Council is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge of our organization. Diversity of experience and skills, combined with passion, is key to our organizational identity.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted upon your acceptance.