Open to Remote Candidates
Incremental Development Alliance is on a mission to create 1,000 incremental developers, help citizens strengthen their own neighborhoods and help city champions get the kind of development their community wants. IncDev is a not-for-profit alliance of practitioners who help people build the capacity for locals to invest in their own neighborhoods, and to help institutions encourage that small-scale development.
The Incremental Development Alliance began in 2015 as a collaboration between small developers who found themselves overwhelmed by the number of people asking them the same question: how do I build a small building in the place I love? In order to share their mentorship and hard-won knowledge far and wide, the Alliance was created to structure a suite of classroom-based and hands-on coaching tools that could be scaled across the country for the benefit of municipal clients and developers alike. That work increasingly moved online and our goal is to make that knowledge accessible to more people from more places that have witnessed divestment from their community or who have not had access to these options in the past.
We’re looking for a highly skilled executive director to help us fulfill this important undertaking. Reporting to the board of directors, the executive director will oversee the strategic and operational efficiency of our programs and staff. This seasoned leader not only understands current trends in small-scale real estate development, online training, and community engagement, but has proven experience developing a fundraising plan and implementing it. Prior experience managing and hiring staff is essential, and established relationships with a range of local and municipal leaders and small developers is a plus. Above all, she or he will be comfortable in a leadership role that demands clear communication and decisiveness.
Objectives of this Role
- Work closely with board of directors and faculty to address issues that affect the organization
- Oversee the daily operations of the organization, providing executive direction of all program strategy, compliance, quality assurance, and program efficiency
- We are in growth mode, so the new executive director will need to help Identify and implement staffing requirements for efficient operations, maintaining a strong culture and work climate that attracts and retains staff and faculty, and drives the organization’s mission
- Represent the organization and increase awareness by being the spokesperson and thought leader in the field
- Develop an actionable plan for fundraising and managing monthly cash flow
- Comply with all federal, state, and local legislation
- Create complete organizational plans for the attainment of goals and objectives set working alongside the board of directors
- Set and meet annual fundraising goals, in partnership with board of directors, to secure financial support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and government funding sources
- Oversee all external communication materials including, website, marketing materials, newsletters and social media content
- Serve as the face of the organization and actively participate in external events, both increasing visibility, credibility, and leadership in the field, and developing strategic partnerships in order to increase community awareness and expand the program
- Build and lead an effective team of staff and faculty dedicated to fulfilling the organization’s mission through highly successful program implementation, community engagement, and fundraising targets
- Manage a culturally diverse staff, faculty, clientele and community whose skills, cultures and spoken languages reflect the communities IncDev serves
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- 5+ years of management experience, preferably with a nonprofit or startup company
- Strong public relations and fundraising experience
- Understanding of the field of small developers
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles related to nonprofits
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with innovative approach to organizational planning
- Dynamic and charismatic team player who enjoys being the public face of an organization
- Experience managing budgets
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Willingness and ability to travel nationally for business development and workshops
Travel and Working Conditions
Prioritizing the safety of our staff and partners and following CDC guidelines regarding COIVD-19, the executive director will be expected to travel occasionally. While this is a remote-friendly position, Incremental Development Alliance anticipates regular in-person meetings with board members and others to support business development efforts. While the organization has been working remotely since February 2020, we may return to an in person office model while prioritizing staff preferences regarding safety.
A reasonable estimate of the range for this role is $95,000 to $110,000. Incremental Development Alliance offers a benefits package including medical, dental and vision coverage, parental leave and family planning benefits, paid time off, a flexible work schedule, and reimbursement for phone plan, professional development, and professional memberships.
Incremental Development Alliance is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IncDev will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. IncDev encourages applicants of all ages.
Send a cover letter, resume or CV and references to training (at) incrementaldevelopment.org with “Executive Director” in the subject line by June 18th, 2021.
Please sign in to leave a comment.