The town of Monson seeks an energetic, forward looking, and solution-oriented individual to lead the town in its exciting next chapter. With 680 year-round and 1200 seasonal residents, the town has undergone a period of growth in recent years, anchored by four season outdoor recreational opportunities and a burgeoning arts scene. The town manager plays an essential role in harnessing the opportunity at hand while ensuring government services continue to be provided consistently, efficiently and with the warmth and welcoming nature of our community.
The town manager is the Chief Executive Officer of the town, managing day to day operations and overseeing municipal staff. Supervised by a three-member Selectboard, the Town Manager has broad responsibility in community and economic development, developing and overseeing the Town budget, management of personnel and departments, and public relations.
- Identify service and policy needs of town, bring to the attention of the Selectboard with recommendations for action, and execute the decisions of the Selectboard.
- Serve as Road Commissioner, Tax Collector and Treasurer.
- Manage staff and ensure high standard of performance for municipal departments, including public works/physical plant, the fire department, and volunteer committees.
- Prepare and propose annual budget and work program in conjunction with the Selectboard and relevant committees.
- Oversee the accounting of all monies of the Town, including applicable reporting and responsibilities as municipal purchasing agent.
- Serve on committees and associations, including but not limited to the Monson Business Association, Community Entrepreneurship Program, the Downtown Association, and Piscataquis County Economic Development Council.
- Liaise with stakeholders including community groups, businesses, and investors, to promote development in alignment with the comprehensive plan and community vision
- Support and secure grants on behalf of the Town, local businesses or organizations, and administer grant programs as appropriate.
- Represent the Town within the community, press, and local, state and federal agencies.
- Maintain open communication with the public, including their suggestions, complaints, and information requests.
- Attend various meetings on behalf of the Town, interact with municipal committees/local organizations, and perform related work as required.
Requirements of Work:
- Background in municipal, non-profit, or business management. Experience in Maine municipal government is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including prioritizing and delegating responsibilities, using time effectively, and maintaining a positive work environment that empowers staff and volunteers to achieve goals.
- Highly effective communicator across media, including written, verbal, public presentation, meeting facilitation, negotiation and consensus building efforts.
- Analytical/critical thinker with the ability to listen, give and receive constructive criticism, and resolve conflicts to build an inclusive environment of participation and citizen engagement.
- Draft and implement budgets and financial administration/reporting.
- Ability to write and administer grants, including those funded by State and federal agencies.
- Demonstrated success with capital projects planning, funding and implementation.
- Knowledge of road/building maintenance and the ability to manage contractors.
- Flexibility to work outside typical office hours and attend evening meetings.
- Working knowledge of computers, software-based accounting, other applications (Microsoft Office, TRIO, social media, and ability to manipulate digital files, etc.).
The Town of Monson is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information or to apply, please contact Martha Gagnon, Interim Town Manager/Town Clerk at 207 997 3641 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please sign in to leave a comment.