The intersection of West Main and Laurel Street in Richmond, Virginia is nestled within the city campus of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). Multiple campus buildings, including the University Student Commons and Gladding Resident Center (a relatively new dormitory), are within two blocks of where the collision happened. Monroe Park is adjacent to this location on the northeast side; the Altria Theater can be found on the northwest side. Multiple apartment complexes, restaurants, and community institutions like the Black History Museum and the Convention Center are within walking distance.
- The crash happened at this intersection at approximately 9:00am on Friday January 27, 2023.
- A motorist struck Mahrokh Khan as Khan was walking along the crosswalk; Khan was pronounced dead not long after she was taken to the VCU Medical Center.
Why was this crash nominated?
- This crash is one of many crashes that have occurred on the VCU campus; a non-fatal collision happened at VCU within a week of Khan's death.
- The presence of university buildings, a theater, and community gathering spaces indicate that this space should be safe for pedestrians to navigate, especially in broad daylight.
What additional information is available?
- A police report is currently unavailable since this cash is still considered an active investigation.
- A diagram to assist you with visualizing and understanding the measurements of the crash location.
- Local Richmond architect Erik Bootsma has also provided us with additional drawings and visual depictions of the intersection - and how it can be changed - that are available here.
- A folder containing the speed study and processed speed data used for this session.
- The Khan family GoFundMe is still open online if you are interested in offering support to Mahrokh's family.
Please sign in to leave a comment.