North Quebec Street and East 36th Avenue are located in Denver, Colorado amidst multiple commercial establishments and neighborhoods. This intersection is nearby Denver's Central Park and the Denver Zoo. The crash location is nearby multiple businesses including a Walmart Supercenter, Office Depot, several hotels, and numerous fast food restaurants. North Quebec Street and East 36th Avenue intersect just south of Interstates 70 and 270.
- The crash at this location occurred at - or shortly after - 10 p.m. on July 3, 2022.
- A motorist struck 60-year-old Gregory Robinson as he was crossing westbound across Quebec Street.
- Robinson was on the north side of the intersection in the far left lane when he was hit by a motorist. Robinson was pronounced dead on the scene at 10:11 p.m.
- The crash report states that the motorist was not intoxicated or impaired at the time of the crash; the motorist reported they were driving between 45 and 50 mph.
- The motorist was issued a Unified Summons and Complaint (US&C) on scene for:
- Careless Driving Resulting in Death
- Driving a Motor Vehicle when License was Restrained
- No Proof of Insurance
Why was this crash nominated?
- North Quebec Street features four lanes at a busy intersection that appears challenging to cross regardless of circumstances.
- Local sources affiliated with - and outside of - the Denver Local Conversations group have confirmed this area is difficult to navigate as both a motorist and a pedestrian.
- Strong Towns believes this crash exemplifies the importance of design speed as a component of traffic safety.
What additional information is available?
- A redacted crash report from the city of Denver.
- A diagram to assist you with visualizing and understanding the measurements of the crash location.
- A folder containing the speed study and processed speed data.