North Ten Mile Road and Pine Avenue are located in Meridian, Idaho amongst a collection of neighborhoods. The crash location is nearby multiple schools, including Meridian High School. This intersection is part of a walk zone where no bus service is allowed for students. A number of churches and typical commercial developments like Albertsons and McDonalds populate this area. Fuller Park and Interstate 84 are also close by.
- The collision at this intersection occurred at approximately 7:42 a.m. on November 2, 2022.
- A motorist struck Terry Binder as he was walking along the crosswalk; the crash resulted in his death at the scene of the accident.
- Multiple media sources indicate that 16 year-old Terry was walking to the west when crossing Ten Mile Road; however, his father stated to at least one media source that Terry was walking to school, which would have meant he was traveling east.
- At the time of this analysis session, the crash was still under investigation and thus a police report was unavailable.
- Media sources indicate that the driver stayed at the scene of the crash and has been cooperative during the investigation; no citations or charges were filed at the time of this analysis session.
Why was this crash nominated?
- The crash location is nearby multiple schools for children across a wide age range; it's reasonable to expect a certain level of safety for pedestrians in this type of built environment.
- The location merits a closer look because car crashes continue to happen along Ten Mile Road even though the area has been redesigned and redeveloped in recent years.
What additional information is available?
- As stated above, a police report is currently unavailable.
- A diagram to assist you with visualizing and understanding the measurements of the crash location is attached.
- A folder containing the speed study and processed speed data referenced in this session.
- A fundraiser opened in honor of Terry Binder is still available online if you are interested in offering an in memoriam donation.