The 5600 block of Ager Road is located in Hyattsville, Maryland nearby multiple destinations that are popular with pedestrians, motorists, and cyclists. The crash location is next to a bus loop and very close to the West Hyattsville metro station. Housing developments, including Riverfront and Kirkwood apartments, populate this area. There are also numerous trails and community parks nearby.
- The collision at this block in occurred at 10:18pm on August 13, 2021.
- A motorist struck Hellen Jorgensen as Jorgensen was walking along the crosswalk; the crash resulted in Jorgensen's death.
- Though multiple sources relay the driver was traveling northbound along Ager Road, some accounts - including portions of both the Prince George's county and City of Hyattsville crash reports, indicate the motorist was driving in the southbound lanes.
- The Prince George's County police report stated the following as contributing circumstances:
- failure to give full time and attention
- too fast for conditions
- The Prince George's County police report also listed an electronic device (a navigational palm pilot) as a distraction.
Why was this crash nominated?
- Since the crash location is nearby pedestrian generators like the West Hyattsville metro station, it seems reasonable to expect a certain degree of safety for those navigating this area on foot.
- The location merits a closer look because fatal car crashes are still occurring here even though the area's recent redesign and redevelopment has won multiple awards
What additional information is available?
- Redacted versions of both the City of Hyattsville Police Report (linked here) and the Prince George's County Police Report (attached) that were filed to document the crash.
- Please note that our session panelists identified discrepancies in the Prince George's County Police Report; for example, the report states a posted speed limit of 35 miles per hour (MPH) when the actual speed limit is 30 MPH.
- A diagram to assist you with visualizing and understanding the measurements of the crash location.
- A folder containing the speed study and processed speed data used for this session.