Lockwood Ridge Road and 57th Avenue East are located in Bradenton, Florida amidst multiple suburban neighborhoods; this crash location is not far from Sarasota Bradenton International Airport. This intersection is nearby multiple commercial developments, including a Publix, an Aldi, a Wawa, and multiple yoga studios. The street grid in this area is surrounded by three major roadways, including I-75, state road 70, and state road 301.
- The collision at this location occurred at approximately 9:09 a.m. on January 2, 2023.
- A motorist struck a 76-year-old man who lived in Bradenton; as a result of the crash, the victim was pronounced deceased at the scene of the crash approximately ten minutes after impact.
- The victim was walking west across Lockwood Ridge Road when he was hit; the motorist was traveling in the lefthand northbound lane.
- The victim was not walking within a marked crosswalk at the time of the collision.
- The crash report indicated that the victim's body came to final rest in the righthand northbound lane of Lockwood Ridge Road.
- The 80-year-old motorist suffered minor injuries and, to our knowledge, was not issued any charges or citations.
Why was this crash nominated?
- The environment features a 40mph speed limit in a stroad-dominated environment.
- At least one other collision was reported just a few blocks north of this location less than a month after the analyzed crash occurred.
- Marked crosswalks for non-motorists traveling east to west (or west to east) are placed more than a mile apart on Lockwood Ridge Road.
What additional information is available?
- A redacted police report from Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles - Traffic Crash Records located in Tallahassee, Florida.
- Multiple diagrams to assist you with visualizing and understanding the measurements of the crash location.
- A folder containing the speed study and processed speed data. Strong Towns credits volunteer Brian Toone (firstname.lastname@example.org) as a primary resource in conducting the speed study and collecting radar data; Brian Toone has requested to be informed if you would like to use this information for your purposes.